Wednesday, March 4, 2020

England as you Like It by Susan Allen Toth

This book was written in 1995 before it became so easy to plan trips on the internet. The first part of the book tells how she plans her trips to England using maps, choosing houses to rent, how the cook for themselves instead of going out a lot, and how much she enjoys planning the trips. While trip planning is a bit different now, I agree with her that is is fun to study maps, read reviews, and plan trips. Her descriptions of the places she goes in the second two parts of the book are wonderful. I really enjoyed reading of their travels, the hikes, the houses and gardens they visited, the people they met, and her favorite places. I did not know that A.A. Milne who wrote the Winnie the Pooh books set them in part of a real forest called Ashdown Forest and you can hike in it, visit his home and see where the books were set. Books that I would like to read she mentioned are The Enchanted Places by Christopher Milne, and something by Daphne Du Maurier. Ms. Toth's descriptive writing is an example I would like to follow as I learn about writing about my own travels. She relates many funny incidents that really made me laugh. I would like to read more of her books so I can both enjoy them and learn to write more like she does. This book does not seem to be available in an ebook. I bought is at the library sale and will be putting it in the Escapees Library. It is available off Amazon or used. 


No comments:

Post a Comment