Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Highlands Hammock State Park, Florida

After we left Wickham Park, we went to Highlands Hammock State Park. It was a nice drive through the middle of Florida. We saw lots of cattle ranches, rivers, trees, birds and got to drive through a rather busy town called Seabring. This seems to be a popular place for Snowbirds. The man in the campground office gave us our pass and map and highlighted our campsite on the map. We went there, following his directions. The campground is rather tight with narrow 2 lane roads, but we squeezed in, found our power connection, plugged in, walked the dogs and went inside to relax a few minutes and check out the trail maps. Someone knocked on our door and told us we were in the wrong site. Oops. Our placard in the window had our correct site number on it, which was not the one we were in. The map we were given had a different site number highlighted, the one we were in, but the one the other person was supposed to be in. At least we didn't unhitch. We unplugged and moved. We found our site which was tighter than the first one and had a bunch of roots from cypress trees in it. We had to move the picnic table and firepit to fit in. And I had to drive around the campground loop twice to be able to figure out how to swing in. We wound up with the sewer pipe on a root and the sink drain pipe inches from one. We stopped and decided to deal with avoiding the roots on the way out the following day. The site was nice and shady and right next to the restrooms. It could have been worse, but I don't recommend this campground. It was too crowded for us. We met several campers who love the park and come back every year. The park is full and hard to get reservations. So lots of people like it, just not us. After we settled, I took the dogs hiking. The trails were amazing. I walked 3 1/2 of the 9 trails in the park. I loved the trails. We walked til the rain blew in and then I scurried back as quickly as I could. I really need to remember to bring my backpack with my raincoat and water. I tried a wild orange, it was bitter. We relaxed in the camper listening to the wind and rain and reading for the evening. The following morning we were up early. After quick cups of coffee and sitting by the picnic table for a few minutes, we were ready to figure out how to get off the roots and to the trailheads that were farther away from the campground. We were successful with mom's directions, maneuvering the camper can be stressful. I am learning to take my time and look often. We first drove the the museum and gift shop. They have done an excellent job with both. There is a trolley tour through areas not open to traffic, but they were already full. After enjoying the museum displays we drove the loop road and appreciated the beautiful hammock. That place is gorgeous. We walked the cypress swamp trail, which was a boardwalk that didn't allow the dogs. They had to wait in the van. It was kind of nice not having the dogs, but I missed them, since I am used to walking with them. We then drove around the loop again and I walked part of another trail the dogs were allowed on. The dogs were allowed on the dirt trails but not the boardwalks. I wound up walking 4 and 3/4 of the 9 trails in the park. We then headed to our next park. On the way I noticed all the trail head parking along the route. You could camp in this area for a month and take a different trail every day. I kind of knew Florida was this beautiful, but now I really know how lovely and varied the state is. 









No comments:

Post a Comment