Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Falling Waters State Park, Florida

On the way back to Texas, our Florida panhandle stop was Falling Water State Park. This park has now moved into one of my favorites in Florida. It seemed small when we drove in and the poor van worked hard to get up the big hill to the campground. The campground is small and seems to stay full, so you do have to make reservations. They lost a lot during hurricane Michael, but unlike Torreya State park, the trails had been mostly cleared, boardwalks rebuilt, and they were well maintained, clean, and fully operational. The trial from the campground to the lake was all downhill and a bit rough, but once you got to the lake and swimming area, everything was wheelchair accessible or stairs depending on which route you took. There are a lot of trails in the lower area of the park and they are all beautiful. I took all but 1 before we got tired. The waterfall is amazing. And a surprise. I didn't expect to see that in Florida. There were lots of wildflowers lining the trails, including dog wood and wild azelas. The people in the campground and the employees were friendly. I could tell as I walked by the lake bathroom that the employees were cleaning that they enjoyed their jobs and liked working together. It is a happy and beautiful park.

I did skip our stay in Tampa and our visit to Bok Tower Gardens. I guess I was eager to get to Falling Water State park. The photos are from my phone, the battery on my camera was dead for some reason. It is doing that, I need to get that figured out, by remembering to turn off my camera.





No comments:

Post a Comment