Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Tickfaw State Park Louisiana

The first day of our Florida trip we stopped for the night at Tickfaw State Park. Tickfaw state park is a really nice Louisiana state park. It is in a Swamp. The buildings are built up high to avoid being flooded and the campsites each have an elevated pad. Some were still flooded, but those weren't in use. We had about an hour before dark so I found a trail. It is a boardwalk behind their big nature center that goes through the swamp. It was amazing. Swamps are truly beautiful, in February, when the mosquitoes haven't hatched yet. I enjoyed listening to the frogs and birds as I walked. I walked until nearly dark then joined mom sitting at the campsite listening to the swamp.As we were lietening to the swamp, I heard at least 7 kinds of birds. I really need to learn to know them by their call.  When it was full dark, we went inside, but I went back out to walk the dogs and we heard critters in the water. I was not sure what it was. There were 2 right off of out campsite. It sounded almost cat like then they seemed to argue and splashed off.  We heard it again later that night. We also heard several owls. Tippy stayed pretty alert for us. The morning was beautifully foggy. We walked the boardwalk again before starting on our way. I highly recommend this park and really want to go back there, in the winter. I think I would avoid this one in the summer.







No comments:

Post a Comment