Saturday, January 2, 2021

Spring, TX Oct 22, 40 (or 10)

A transcript of a letter written by by grandmother's brother. Not sure who to. 


 Dear Miss Willie:


And you never heard of Sellers? It wouldn't do to tell these people that. You ask what kind of a place it is. That is not a hard question to answer, We have a telegraph office, one boarding house and about five hundred box cars. It was hard for me to decide where I wanted to board but when dinner time came I went to the Womack hotel. The city is just one mile north of here called Spring. Never heard of that either? That's funny, Better get your geography and look it up. Spring has about twelve stores two thirds of which are saloons. They have a large dancing hall and have a big dance nearly every week. They have no church or Sunday school. Think this would be a good place to send missionaries don't you?

Was surprised to hear Joe going to Dallas so soon but think it is a good thing for him. He will mind Rowena better than anyone and she doesn't live in a rough part of town. It is like a country village. It will do him good to be in town where he can see and learn things. So you are playing chess every night, am glad you like it so well. Can you beat Bob playing? Am afraid I will not be able to win any games from you when I get back. Wish I could be there to play with you. Haven't played any since I left Mumford, but will get some men and find some one to play with when I find a place to stop. Will be here about a week or ten days longer, but can''t say where I will go then.

Am going to Houston Monday morning and return in the evening. Want to get some books to read while I am in this lonely place and will see about having your umbrella fixed up. Don't know what books I will get but if they are any good will mail them to you as soon as I read them. Reading is about the only way I can pass the time away here. I can sleep half of the time but not all of it.

I will expect one of those post cards soon, hope they are good. You mustn't tear them up. I hope they are just like you. They should be ready for you this trip home.

If you expect to paint many pictures for your students, am sure you will be kept busy from now until Christmas.

If you don't have time to write long letters, I will be glad to get short ones. I don't write very long letters myself.

Yours,
Roy




No comments:

Post a Comment