Monday, January 4, 2021

Goose Island Birding

 There were a lot of birds on this trip. We went to the "Big Tree" which was an amazing tree. The oak trees there have a lot of character. This tree was 700 years old I think. We imagined what all it had seen. My sister decided each of the trees should have a name. The way they grow is amazing and each has it's own personality.


I had seen on birding posts that there was a pair of whooping cranes wintering in the pasture across the street from the "Big Tree". I wanted to see them. We parked by some fisherman and I walked across the street to the pasture. The birds were far away, but I saw them. Birding pushes my camera to it's limit so the photos are really grainy when I crop to get close enough to identify the birds. The white pelicans and the brown pelicans have very different behavior. White ones swim in the bay a lot and steel the fish or the bait from the fisherman's lines. It is kind of funny to watch, but the fishermen get frustrated, they put out a lot of rods and go through a lot of bait. The brown pelicans hang out on the piers and at the fish cleaning stations. When the boats come in in the evening, the brown pelicans mob the fish cleaning counters like a bunch of dogs looking for treats.

We also saw snowy egrets, big egrets, green herons, sanderlings, sea gulls, sandhill cranes, ducks, grackles, roseate spoonbills. Maybe some others, I am still learning what they all are called.













No comments:

Post a Comment