Tuesday, January 12, 2021

August 28, 1943

 Dear Ginger,


Have been pretty chummy with a Lt. Co. Burnett of the Army Air Forces who is also headed my way and thru his connections we will be chosen to go on a giant C54 four motored cargo plane. It seems that the usual route is Miami to Puerto Rico, ti Trinidad, to Natal (Brazil), to Ascension Island, to Accra (Gold Cost Africa), to Khatoum Anglo Egyptian Africa, Oden, Arabia, Korashi India and New Delhi, India. What happens from there, no one knows. These giant planes called "Old Faithful" have a capacity of 26 men with equipment.

This staging area has personnel from all over the U.S. come to it for transportation as far as Africa. From there the Middle East Command takes over. Sometimes several hundred are here waiting. Every afternoon at 1:15 we meet on the north porch where the "shipping list" for the next day is read. The usual wait is 5 days. Naturally, all this information is restricted so when you have read and digested this letter, destroy it.

Calling you on the phone give me a great lift. We must bear with fortitude our short separation and exert every effort toward ending the war.

If the boys do anything particularly nice, let me know so I can praise them. Safe arrival cables are absolutely prohibited. However, our government is taking every precaution that we do arrive safely. A letter from me to you with an airmail special delivery stamp on means I have reached my final destination. If I stop any place for a while, I'll let you know where.

Love, George


No comments:

Post a Comment