Saturday, April 4, 2020

Tippy my hunting helper

Tippy has usually has a solid stay. When told to stay, he usually does. He is becoming a very useful hunting companion because of this skill. I like to take photos. I have been practicing taking photos of animals. He loves to focus on the wildlife (and dogs, cats, whatever moves). He especially likes squirrels. On our daily walk around the park I bring my cameras and practice. There are a couple of squirrels on our route that are very good models. Tippy points them out, he freezes to watch them while I take a couple pictures. Then the squirrel runs away and we move on. Yesterday, the battery on my zooming camera died about halfway through our walk, before I got to one of our regular squirrel buddies. When we got to him, he was in his yard finding something to eat. Tippy stopped and watched. I waited. Tippy sat down and watched the squirrel find something in the grass, investigate it, then bury it, find something else, eat it, find something else, bury that. I waited 5 minutes while Tippy watched the squirrel. When I decided to move on, I said, "ok Tippy, Let's go" I was not prepared for the reaction, neither was Peanut, neither was the squirrel. He launched from his sit and ran for the squirrel. Poor squirrel went "Yikes" and dashed up his tree and whipped around to the other side and high into the branches. Tippy really enjoyed his surprise. Today when we walked past the squirrel in the yard, he went straight to his tree. He watched us from the trunk. I don't think he wanted a surprise again today. 






No comments:

Post a Comment