Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Lost Maples hiking day

 Day 4 Lost Maples hiking day


We decided to start our hike early because the day use area gets full and the trails get really busy. We started hiking at 7am. The trail is rocky, steep and beautiful. It goes back and forth over a shallow river with many river crossings. Each one presents amazing views. I decided to try for the first overlook. The trail map warned it was steep, so did signs on the trail and it was. Steep and rocky. It was the most difficult trail I have done. I succeeded. Five miles. My feet and ankles hurt, but I didn't get injured. I was very careful and slow and took nearly 4 hours to complete it. Three miles was beautiful, the two middle ones were a challenge. It was worth it though. I am very glad I got to do it. The dogs were very good. They had issues with a few other hikers and some reactive dogs. The excited kids at the beginning of the trail for them, the end for us really scared Peanut. But when we were on the difficult footing, the dogs stayed on my left in the proper order, Peanut behind and Tippy and Roudy in front. They honored wait, go on, get up, go left, and this way. I was very proud of then, except when Tippy lunged at a well behaved standard poodle while I was trying to sit down for a break at the top of the overlook I was going to and he made me fall. The poodle lady felt bad, but it wasn't her fault. Tippy was the brat. After we got back from hiking, we explored the park store and a general store that was really an old convenience store. We spent the afternoon resting and birdwatching at our campsite. When I got tired of resting, I decided to wade in the spring fed river. It was cold. I felt the ache up past my knees and I was just ankle deep. It was refreshing after I got out. But I am not interested in tubing in the Sabinal river. By the way Sabinal means pecan trees in spanish. And if the Agua Frio River is colder than the Sabinal, I will not even wade in it. The best park of the trip was this hike. I really enjoyed hiking in the clouds. The fog was thick up at the top of the "hill" or mountain and I was walking through the clouds. The scenery was spectacular and probably like no place else on earth. I enjoyed the sounds of the birds on the hike and was surprised to notice the smells changed along the trail. When were were in the lower area it smelled like leaves and fall. Then we made some river crossings and it smelled like it does by a waterfall. Then we got higher and, although I was sweating from the climb, it smelled like a foggy winter morning. I really hope I can go on more hikes like this. 


































































No comments:

Post a Comment