Thursday, November 5, 2020

Abaline State Park, TX

 

After Leaving Monahans Sandhills State Park, we headed east to Abaline State Park. We did no interstate on the way there. We got to drive several hours on the two lane Texas highways. There were a lot of interesting sights that mom got to see while I was driving. Driving not on the interstate is usually interesting. This drive was mostly ranches and farms. Arriving at Abaline State Park was a bit confusing. The lake entrance is different from the campground and there was construction on the highway, but GPS steered us correctly and we arrived without making any extra turns. The campground was beautiful and the weather was perfect. We got to sleep with the back of the camper open for the first time. Deer wandered through the campground and I heard wild hogs in the bushes on one of my evening walks on the trail by the creek. The creek trail went to a fishing pond. I tried learning to set up and cast my fly rod for the first time. I was nervous about hooking a dog with a hook. The dogs were patient while I practiced then they got to check out the pond from a floating dock. I think I need a regular fishing rod for areas with grass (I kept catching the grass) and practice with the fly fishing rod when it is open. I don't want to use bait though, I will have to stick with lures. I can't see killing something just to catch something else you are planning on releasing again. There were a few flowers at Abaline, mostly sunflowers and dotted gayfeather, that ID hasn't been confirmed though. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment