Sunday, October 18, 2020

Guajome County Park, Vista, CA

 

We left Kartchner Caverns state park shortly after my sunrise hike. We had pre-hooked up the night before so only had to unplug and go. The drive to California along I-10 and I-8 was long but varied. It was very interesting. We drove through agricultural lands (We could not figure out what they were growing in a lot, I wish they had signs), ranch lands (some beef, mostly goats and sheep), desert of several different kinds, many mountain ranges, lots of trains and trucks, and a range of sandhills. We went through a couple of immigration check points and after we got off of a desolate Indian Reservation in California we went through an agricultural check point. Roudy really doesn't like men in masks. If he and Tippy hadn't been secured in the back seat, those guys would not have been able to get near the van. There was a really neat mountain range on I-8. One of the points was called Devil's canyon or something like that. It was amazing, but I cant imagine trying to get through there before the roads were build. Moving your family out west was quite a feat. Our ancestors were definitely more hardy than we are. After the sandhills and curvy amazing mountain roads we drove through the edge of San Diego on the California highways. Between GPS and mom watching for what lane I needed to be in, it wasn't too bad. We were fortunate and hit no traffic jams. I am still not a fan of city driving, too many cars and you can't look around. The roads around Vista were smaller, hillier, and curvier. It is literally a town in the hills right on the coast. We found our campground with no issues and settled into our site. 

This is a comfortable and well used state park. The sites seem to stay full even during the week. I was glad I planned ahead for reservations. The park has lots of trees, trails, biking roads, and a lake. It is supposed to have a pond but I couldn't find it. I think it was dried up and full of bulrushes. There is a lot of birds in the park. I really enjoyed sitting on a bench by the lake watching a flock of red-winged blackbirds, some American coots, mallard ducks, and a few geese and other water birds. The birds also came to the trees over our campsite and sang to us. The park was in a great location 15 minutes from most of the places we needed to be (my aunt's, her son's, and the beach) We enjoyed coming home to this park after all of our excursions. 






















































No comments:

Post a Comment