Friday, June 5, 2020

1945 March 6

1945 March 6




My Sweetheart,

Tonight I write by candlelight. Do you remember when I did that before? We find it difficult to get white gasoline for our gasoline pressure lamps and leaded gasoline makes them unserviceable,.

Imagine, I am as far forward as I can go without being in the "parched earth" and I'm living in a new, modern house with wood floors, white plaster walls and ceilings and paper covered casement windows. Excuse me while I find that flea. Here we eat with our Chinese associates or prepare our own meals from U.S. supplied food. We now can get all kinds of cooking cereal - oatmeal, Wheatina, etc. powdered milk which makes a tasty wonderful beverage, local flour to which we add the necessary U.S.  ingredients to make pancakes, sausage meat, strawberry jam, coffee, local tea, canned turkey, dehydrated cranberries, dehydrated baked means (truly wonderful_ and even so many other wonderful prepared foods.

Sometimes there are four of us (then we can play bridge, hearts, etc, sometime there are two of us. We visit and work in many unhappy areas and see it's sorrowful people very old to very young unhappily following the road with their small bundle of worldly possessions. Not infrequently we see those who are past all caring and for whom no last resting place has been provided. It's never ending. We talk of the Japs and Germans as our enemies. The real enemy is WAR and those who cause it. Much of the devastated area here has never been conquered by enemy units.

The clouds have turned and the weather has turned quite cold. Gee! We're so very lucky to have shelter, clothes, bedding and food.

The night before last the General has us up to an excellent Chinese meal and an old style Chinese play. The costumes were quite old silk embroidery and very beautiful. The play was interesting because I could understand it.

Enclosed are the least valuable Chinese notes I've seen. Their present value is 1/50th of a cent. The bank attempted to destroy them fearing they would fall in to Jap hands. 

I sent George an interesting Chinese silver dollar, regular mail. Did you get the silver spoons, ivory buttons and powder box, the Chinese "chop" and George's Jap propeller section flag stand?

Your letters are delightful. My feet are cold. Fire is out. Good night.

Love, hugs and kisses.

George,

No comments:

Post a Comment