Friday, June 5, 2020

1943 November 17

1943 November 17

Dear Ginger, 

When Arthur and I were in our early teens we went hiking quite often. We liked to do our own cooking and one of the things we made most often was called "Darned Goods" These I learned to make at YMCA camp Greenhill during the summer of 1914, I believe. The recipe is - 1 cup flour, three teaspoons sugar, one of baking power and a fraction of salt. Same consistency as piecrust. Cut out and deep fry like donuts. I'll bet you're wondering what in the world makes me write about "Darned Goods" . Well, every morning we have "Darned Goods" with our fired eggs and coffee. I believe they were invented here. Try them someday. 

Just went to town to have my hair cut. Cost $35.00CN Uniformed laundry here is very expensive but it has the great advantage of coming back the same day.

Well, another mailman leaves with our mail tomorrow. I can't keep up with them. Just completed my first Chinese lesson given by the missionary with whom I had the most wonderful dinner the other night. Also found a coffee shop in which one can buy hot ovaltine with Chinese cakes. My roommate is arranging a kettle over the gasoline pressure lantern to boil water for coffee. It's nine at night here. It's been a slow day.

Writing on your knee has its drawbacks, you have to write so slowly, move the pad three of four times for each line and crouch down over your work. However, there isn't much to write, so time means nothing. It does get a bit chilly tho. My beautiful thermometer registered 64 degrees F which isn't too warm for writing. Home I get some air mail envelopes soon. Stocks running mighty low. I have another room mate (temporarily) who is from South Carolina. My very clever associate, the one who is making the coffee and comes from California wants to buy a farm when the war is over. He likes the peace and the tranquility of the coutry.

Well, the coffee's done. My eyes are tired. All the gasoline lantern throws a bright light, there are too many shadows and too much flickering to call it good light. So, my darling, so long til the next mail man. 

Love, hugs and kisses
George

No comments:

Post a Comment