Thursday, June 4, 2020

1944 January 10

1944 January 10


Dear Ginger,

It would be much better if you did not write then you are tired. I really can't help it if my letters don't arrive. Only "V" mail letters are reproduced if the plane carrying them crashes or the ship carrying them sinks. Lost letters mean lost lives. Plane crews do not survive a crash. All our planes here have to fly over enemy held territory. Sometimes Japs intercept them. In the seventeen days since Christmas, I've received four letters from you and consider myself lucky to get them. I've received no packages since leaving the U.S.

Thanks for the four packages of tea. When the bank of China opens its branch here, I will send Miss Chin $1000 Chinese national currency a month. We can not send US Currency thru the mail. The branch will open in February. The black market rate of exchange varies from 68 to  90 to one, One hundred dollar bills bring the highest amount. My pay comes in twenties and smaller. Food alone costs me in excess of $3000 a month. Is Chin Den satisfied that his family can live on so little. I can send more and he can pay you more. 

The people in this bomb and cholera ravaged town are preparing for Chinese New Year. 

Well, you dear girl, don't run yourself down. That would worry me. The  Japs thirty miles or less away never do.

Love, hugs, and kisses.
George. 

No comments:

Post a Comment